Does your Ténéré 700 rear suspension leave you tired, worn out, and looking for more comfort and control on a mix of road surfaces? Are you adding additional weight to the bike in the way of crash protection, luggage, camping gear, or passengers? You’re not alone. The OE Yamaha shock spec is pretty reasonable for a narrow window of riders and usage, but if you’re pushing boundaries, it lacks sufficient spring rate and damping to maintain composure. Even average-weight riders routinely bottom out during regular street riding. So, we spent over 4 months working with Penske on this shock testing many spring rate, piston, and valving combinations to fix that issue. The Stoltec Moto shock build provides better damping curves more suited to real-world usage and adds additional adjustability. If that sounds good, keep reading.
The 8987 is Penske’s highest-spec motorcycle shock. Triple adjustment gives separate control of low speed compression, high speed compression, and rebound damping, so you gain the ability to separately control squat and bump compliance to suit riding conditions. Increased low speed compression damping (helps) keep the front end planted under hard acceleration while the high speed compression has been specifically tuned for a mix of road and ADV riding (and is adjustable on this model).
- Stoltec Moto specific valving
- Piggyback reservoir
- Tool-less low speed compression adjustment
- Tool-less high speed compression adjustment
- Tool-less rebound adjustment
- Spring preload adjustment
- Ride height adjustment
- Torrington thrust bearing to limit spring binding under compression and ease preload adjustment
- Custom sprung and valved per rider weight and riding style
- Fully rebuildable
- Saves ~3 lbs (spring rate dependent)
- 100% designed and manufactured in USA
Each Penske shock is custom built for the customer and application. Typical build times run in the 3 week window. Please plan accordingly!
Contact us for assistance in selecting a spring rate.
There are no reviews yet.