Yamaha did us all a favor and made some simple, but substantial, upgrades to the 2017 model year FZ-09. Not only did they separate damping between both fork legs by bringing the ‘dead leg’ back to life, but they provided adjustability over compression damping, as well. Finally, that ripping 847 cc engine has a fork layout that can harness the bike’s true sporting intentions! That said, Yamaha had to design to a price point that limits the overall capability of the forks. If you’re having difficulty getting the rebound in check, are bottoming out, dealing with excessive brake dive, or cringing at every frost heave and expansion joint, we have a solution for you.
The unique Stoltec Moto Fork Piston kit is complete with the following:
- 20 mm compression piston w/ custom shim stack
- 20 mm rebound piston w/ custom shim stack
- 8 degree needles to provide better laminar flow characteristics through the piston bleed and increased adjustability
- Proper drill bit for cartridge discharge port modification
- Fork oil
- Copper crush washers (not shown)
- The market’s only true drop-in fork springs (optional)
- (Optional) SKF ‘Green’ Fork Seals – reduced stiction w/ increased service life
You’ll gain increased low-speed rebound/compression damping without an undue increase in high-speed compression. In layman’s terms, less brake dive, no pogo-effect – all without creating harshness. Even sub-freezing temperatures won’t adversely impact the forks’ performance. For the money, this kit can’t be beat!
Our custom linear rate fork springs are also available separately. As always, please contact us for spring rate recommendations.
If you can’t make heads and tails of what’s in the pictures, don’t fret – but contact a qualified suspension shop to handle your installation! Remember, we can’t see what you’re doing during installation, so make sure you understand the ins and outs before attempting this on your own!
For the more savvy fork installers, see here for some installation notes: 17+ FZ-09 FPK Installation Instructions