It’s no secret that Yamaha spent the bulk of their R&D budget on that stonking 847cc triple. Unfortunately, that meant pennies needed to be pinched somewhere. That somewhere is in the suspension. Like the forks, the shock spring is inadequate for riders over 170 lbs in gear. There is no compression adjustment, and the rebound damping is lacking, even at full stiff. Stoltec Moto teamed with Penske to develop shock solutions befitting of an otherwise amazing motorcycle.
This is Penske’s entry level emulsion shock for those on a budget. Think of this as a REALLY good stock shock. Compares nicely to a stock remote reservoir shock on most modern sportbikes. Although we don’t typically sell emulsion shocks due to the inherent performance benefits of a floating piston separated shock (ala 8983 or 8987), this shock is so much better than the stock shock, it makes sense for those who can’t afford a higher-spec shock.
- Single damping adjustable – one knob controls both low-speed compression and rebound (stiffening one stiffens the other).
- Spring preload adjustment
- Ride height adjustment
- Torrington thrust bearing to limit spring binding under compression and ease preload adjustment
- Upgradeable to remote reservoir 8983 or 8987
- Custom sprung and valved per rider weight and riding style
- Fully rebuildable
- 100% designed and manufactured in USA
Each Penske shock is custom built for the customer and application. Typical build times run in the <4 week window. Please plan accordingly!
Contact us for assistance in selecting a spring rate.